Dreaming of Wuthering Heights

9:14 PM Posted In , , , , , , , , , , , Edit This 0 Comments »

Wuthering Heights, First Edition. Title Page. Photo from Wikipedia.org.

Though I didn’t really completely understood Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights the first time I read it, its first few pages which I can only describe as ghastly and the passionate yet turbulent relationship between Catherine and Healthcliff, which is much like the raging winds of Northern England, had ignited my fascination for the dark, the dreary, and the heavy drama enough to have me reading the book over and over again for years. It had since become one of my favorite books.



Moors of Northern England. Photos from wikipedia.org.

Since reading this and Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden, I would - from time to time - find my thoughts wandering off to the moors of Yorkshire where I would roam alone for hours, with only my thoughts to keep me company. As Mr. Lockwood would put it, "In all of England, I do not believe that I could have fixed on a situation so completely removed from the stir of society." It's funny how a place like this could be so miserable, cold, and harsh to most people yet so appealing to me. Not that I'm a loner or even a misanthropist. I just value peace and serenity. Living in big cities for most of your life does that to you, I guess.

I just recently saw the 1970 film adaptation of the book, with Timothy Dalton playing Healthcliff (yum!!) and Anna Calder-Marshall as Catherine. I was disappointed that it excluded the story of their children, which I think is a very important part of the story. It was a fairly good movie, however, and it brought me back to my fantasies of running wild in the moors, not having to worry about time and people and well, life...

0 comments: